SD BB Senshi RX-0 Unicorn Gundam


I didn't purchase the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam as part of my original SD kit roundup, but after completing the Banshee Norn and watching the Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn anime series, I decided it only made sense to include the original Unicorn Gundam in my own collection.

This was only a partial paint-job - the white armor is unpainted (with just a flat topcoat), though most of the colored details were painted either by hand or airbrush. I see long after having taken these photos that I accidentally had one of the chest armor pieces closed - how annoying! I guess we'll all just have to live with some asymmetry here.



A great design and nicely detailed for an SD kit. The clear stickers look pretty good on the white armor. Lots of fun putting this together!



Closeup of the shield and beam saber. The white of the shield's fins was painted, as well as all the gray detailing. For the beam saber, I used the usual trick of spraying a white gradient on the clear plastic to create the effect of energy particles. 



A few little nicks on the backpack, as some of the pieces were very tight to snap back together after being painted and/or topcoated. 

Note the small pink details in the legs, skirt, and forearms. These areas do not contain separate clear pink psycho-frame parts (as with the chest, shoulders, etc.), so I opted to paint them pink myself. This was incredibly laborious, requiring a lot of precision, patience, and cleanup. 



Closeup of the beam rifle. In addition to the blue cartridges, I (as I often do) added my own metallic details. 



The yellow of the V-fin, the eyes, and the gray details were all painted. There was also a substantial amount of panel lining here. 



A great kit! I admit that the Unicorn Gundam didn't initially jump out at me, but I'm very happy with the project and think it's been a great addition to my SD collection. 

Comments