SD Cross Silhouette RX-78-02 & Char's Zaku II 40th Anniversary Two-Pack

Though I recently finished my first Master Grade kit and wish to focus on more realistically proportioned models moving forward, I still had a handful of SD kits in the pipeline that I wanted to get off my plate. I had ordered this 40th Anniversary Two-Pack of the RX-78-02 Gundam and Char's Zaku II earlier this year, but only finally received it from USA Gundam Store a couple weeks ago. I built both models simultaneously and hurried through the process, finishing everything in just short of a week. 

Since this was a bit of a rush job, I opted not to fully paint these, just the gray frame areas, the weapons, some hand-detailing, and a flat topcoat. I also did this because this special edition two-pack featured a different red on Char's Zaku II which I didn't wish to paint over. 













Some detail shots - I did a candy coat on the eyes and forehead sensor. The yellow on the vulcan cannons and skirt emblem were hand-painted, as were a lot of the little gray details. 




Weapon closeups. I sprayed the beam saber pink and then used clear white to get the gradient effect. I kept the beam rifle pretty simple with just a candy coat on the scope. 












Having built this same kit already, I put to use a lesson I had previously learned about the mono eye: don't try to make things fancy by spraying silver behind the lens. Just use the silver sticker.







Weapon closeups. It's tough to see but I did a candy coat for the scopes on the rifle and bazooka. I experimented with color by laying down a clear red coating then spraying a bit of clear white on top of it. I got a pretty cool iridescent pink for my efforts. 



A fun little project which now finally adds the OG mobile suits piloted by Amuro Ray and Char to my collection!


Comments