SD BB Senshi Legend SDV-04 Command Gundam



This was one of the first SD Gundam figures I picked out when I made my first gunpla shopping selection, as it was the same character as one of my favorite Gundam toys from when I was a kid. As I did with the SD BB Senshi RX-93 Nu Gundam, I opted not to paint the full kit, instead selectively spraying or hand-painting only the details I wished to make a bit nicer. Despite a few minor issues along the way, it was a ton of fun, bringing back a lot of nostalgic memories due to the closer tie to my childhood toys. 




Side view and detail of the huge cannon. Lots of fun adding my own little details to that particular armament. 




Detail of grenades and head-mounted weaponry. You can see a few unfortunate nub marks that I wasn't able to get clean. 




Rear views - a lot of little metallic details that I added in by hand. 



Closeup of machine gun with attached command knife. I liked the positioning of the knife better in the gun than sheathed in the backpack. Here you can see that I unfortunately forgot to clean up my panel lines on the silver under-barrel of the gun. 




The 4-pod missile launcher is my favorite part of this model. I spent a lot of time working on it, and I'm very happy with the results, especially the contrast of the flat gray casing with the glossy red missiles. This was incidentally the first kit I tried using floor polish on as my gloss coat. I later all but abandoned floor polish, as I now believe it doesn't remotely compare to dedicated hobby topcoat products, but it worked fairly well here, though I had to really shellac the missiles with many coats to get such a high gloss finish. 




I love the idea that a robot would need a separate targeting scope! You can see here some scuffing in the metallic finish on the v-fin, an unfortunate side effect of my having mishandled the part during assembly. I painted the eyes by using the included sticker as a stencil of sorts. It left pretty messy edges, so I had to go back in and touch up by hand. Looks pretty clean now though!



Before and after shots! FYI I didn't actually paint the green armor - the color difference you see here is a mix of the lighting and the effect of the flat topcoat. 

Comments